GRADE 8 HONOURS COURSES OFFERED AT BURNABY SOUTH
At Burnaby South, honours courses (or Pre-AP courses) begin at the Grade 8 level in the following subject areas:
Burnaby South’s Honours courses are designed for students who:
•have high academic achievement
•are creative and innovative
•enjoy a challenge
•are keen and active participants in class
•have a positive learning environment
In order to enter into Grade 8 honours courses, prospective students need to complete the Grade 8 Course Selection Form. This can be obtained through your Grade 7 teacher (if the elementary school is part of the Burnaby South catchment area) or you can pick up the application at the Burnaby South main office. In addition to the Application form, the following table lists the Honours entrance requirements.
||Entrance requirements and information
|English 8 Honours
- For admission into English 8 Honours, students should have demonstrated interest, ability, and willingness to be readers and writers. Students will be selected from using recommendations made by Grade 7 teachers and the student’s results from the English 8 Honours Entrance exam. The English entrance exam will take place at Burnaby South on Wednesday, April 4, 2018 from 4:00 pm to 5:15 pm. The entrance exam will include both a reading and writing component.
|Mathematics 8 Honours
- The exam is meant to determine a student’s proficiency in mathematics and readiness to enter the Math 8-9 Honours program. Students are expected to have a very good understanding of the Math 7 curriculum and some of the key topics from the Math 8 curriculum, such as the Pythagorean theorem, solving equations, and probability. In addition, the exam will include math contest questions and more open-ended problem-solving questions.
- The exam consists of a non-calculator section (part A) and a calculator section (parts B and C). Students must hand in part A before taking out their calculators to work on parts B and C.
- For a sample, please click math8h practice exam.
For more practice on the math contest-type questions, view the website http://cemc.math.uwaterloo.ca/contests/gauss.html
The Math 8 Honours Entrance Exam will take place on Tuesday, April 10, 2018 from 4:00 to 5:30 pm. Students are required to bring their own calculator for the exam.
|Science 8 Honours
- For admission into Science 8 Honours, students should have demonstrated an interest in science topics and have general science skills and abilities of a typical Grade 7. Admission into Science 8 Honours will be based on recommendations made by their Grade 7 teacher and from results of the Science 8 Honours Entrance exam. The Science entrance exam will take place at Burnaby South on Wednesday, April 11, 2018 from 4:00 pm to 5:15 pm. The exam will consist of problems that apply logic and scientific concepts such as the scientific method. Students should also have an understanding of the metric system.
|Social Studies 8 Honours
- For admission into Social Studies 8 Honours, students should have an interest in current affairs and world issues. They should also demonstrate strong literacy skills and possess a good work ethic. Students will be selected from using recommendations made by Grade 7 teachers and the student’s results from the Social Studies 8 Honours entrance exam. The Social Studies 8 Honours entrance exam will take place at Burnaby South on Thursday, April 5, 2018 from 4:00 pm to 5:15 pm. This is a combined exam with English 8 Honours. Students who apply for Socials Studies 8 Honours will be asked to complete all 4 parts of the exam. They include writing a response to a statement, a reading dealing with a contemporary topic at the Grade 7 reading level, a question based on a reading that requires students to make an inference based on a prompt from the reading, and they will have to analyze a historical picture and/or cartoon.
Admission into Honours courses is very competitive. Last year, there were over 150 students who applied for one or more Grade 8 Honours course at Burnaby South. Despite a recommendation from their Grade 7 teacher, not all students will be admitted into Honours. A confirmation of acceptance into the specific Honours course will be provided when course verification forms are sent out in May after reviewing results of the entrance exams and teacher recommendations.